FARMINGDALE — A swift-moving fire ruined a barn and dwelling Tuesday afternoon that was underneath renovation and nearing completion on Northern Avenue.
The proprietor of the house said it was not being lived in. No one particular was hurt as the building workers at the web site, who described the hearth to authorities, produced it out unharmed.
John Jaques, operator of the home, is a serious estate agent for Keller Williams Realty and was in the approach of flipping the 122-calendar year-aged residence. He’d purchased it a number of months back and was obtaining it renovated to be resold.
He said it was nearing completion and was only weeks away from currently being completely renovated and prepared to be set on the current market.
“It was seeking truly very good,” he explained of the below-renovation residence at 594 Northern Ave. “It was a pleasant property. It experienced a tin ceiling. I’d just set a grasp suite in.”
Jaques wasn’t at the household when the fire broke out but went to it just after a employee named him, after calling for the fireplace section. He could see the flames from the highway as he designed his way there.
He claimed the hearth appeared to commence in the barn, then distribute to the dwelling. A few carpenters and two plumbers ended up doing the job on the dwelling at the time of the fireplace, Jaques reported, including that the building had been converted into a four-bedroom, two-lavatory house.
The house was insured, the operator mentioned, and was developed around 1900.
The barn, which was to the rear of the residence, was leveled by the fireplace, when all that remained of the adjacent dwelling by 1:30 p.m. was a charred shell of burned wooden wall remnants, with vinyl siding clinging to one particular side twisted and melted.
Firefighters remained at the scene Tuesday afternoon, placing out hotspots and extinguishing a few locations the place the flames experienced unfold into the encompassing woods. At the very least 1 Maine forest ranger aided out. Jaques’ tractor, which was parked upcoming to the barn, also appeared to catch on fireplace.
Contents of the residence likely missing to the fireplace involved an comprehensive number of applications, as well as cupboards and new fixtures in the home.
Firefighters from Gardiner and quite a few region departments responded to support Farmingdale firefighters.
Mike LaPlante, assistant fireplace chief in Farmingdale, stated firefighters could see smoke from as much away as Augusta. It was fully engulfed in tall flames when firefighters arrived.
Firefighters rotated tanker vehicles to the website to provide h2o, which they shuttled from the closest hearth hydrants a pair miles up the street.
“This is what it appears to be like like when you’re out of the hydrant district,” LaPlante explained of bringing in vehicles complete of water from off-web site. “We tried to maintain the highway open up, for the drinking water provide.”
An investigator from the Office environment of Condition Fire Marshal responded to the scene to check out to determine the induce of the blaze.